Author Topic: Not all Dark Rides Are Scary!  (Read 2016 times)

slickdude

• Kickstarter Club Member
  • Theme Park Studios Supporter
Not all Dark Rides Are Scary!
« on: January 24, 2014, 08:20:34 PM »
For example you have "It's A Small World" at Disneyland though it is rumored to be haunted in real life. Strange things have occurred there are closing time in the wee hours.

Haunted Disneyland - http://www.hauntedhoneymoon.com/hauntedplaces/disneyland.html Not that I believe all of these though  ;)

Anyhow, one ride that has stuck in my mind since 1966 when I was there at "Pacific Ocean Park" California was "The Safari Dark Ride" Contrary to all of the hundreds of POP photos floating around the net and youtube footage, there yet remains a lack of a photo of the outside of the Safari Dark Ride. I am sure someone has one in their old photo album, but there is a photo of the inside. I remembered the Jungle Jeep cars on that dark ride. Since POP was a true tropical and water park of the day with theming that competed with a younger Disneyland in Anaheim at the time, this Dark Ride left a lasting impression. Here is the only known photo to show you what the ride was like.

Theme Park Studios - The Best Ride In On The Globe

Zombater

Re: Not all Dark Rides Are Scary!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 04:40:33 AM »
Pretty cool, eh!

Yeah, no I found some more photos that seem to resemble the one you have here. Are animatronics as such even possible yet? If so, we could try recreating this, even though it would take too long.

And here's another one. Same scene, but with different people. I'm inclined to believe it's the part where they take the photo on the ride. There's others, which have different cars though.

Zombater

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 04:44:35 AM »
Oh yeah, and one more thing, here's a color shot of another ride there. Some banana thing.

slickdude

• Kickstarter Club Member
  • Theme Park Studios Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 08:11:45 PM »
Oh yeah, and one more thing, here's a color shot of another ride there. Some banana thing.

That is the Bana Train ride. It was actually a pusher engine with bamboo cars. The ride went through a dark ride sort of mode and an erupting volcano on the end of the pier. I actually rode this and the Safari Dark Ride with the Jungle Jeep cars, was fun and a unique time in 1966.
Theme Park Studios - The Best Ride In On The Globe

Zombater

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 12:36:14 PM »
Cool. Guess who else has been there? My grandpa, haha! I'll try and find more info about this place, I believe there is a video or two of the safari ride, on a VHS somewhere...

EDIT:

Well, well, look what I found!

« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 12:49:34 PM by Zombater »

abletudu

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 01:48:20 PM »
I agree, not all dark rides are scary or violent, however that being said any depictions of dark rides that do not comply with Rule #1 (see below) will be prohibited and will be deleted.

1. The owners of Pantera Entertainment are Christian as well as many of the contributors and moderators.  For this reason we ask that all links, references, and submitted material to have an 'E' rating.  This includes restrictions against explicit, dark, demonic, or violent references.

A Proud Backer Of TPS! If you are having trouble using TPS refer to http://forum.themeparkstudio.com/index.php?board=19.0
To report problems or make suggestions go to https://themeparkstudio.mantishub.com/login_page.php?return=%2Fmy_view_page.php and register for an account.

Zombater

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 07:25:46 AM »
For example you have "It's A Small World" at Disneyland though it is rumored to be haunted in real life. Strange things have occurred there are closing time in the wee hours.

Haunted Disneyland - http://www.hauntedhoneymoon.com/hauntedplaces/disneyland.html Not that I believe all of these though  ;)

Anyhow, one ride that has stuck in my mind since 1966 when I was there at "Pacific Ocean Park" California was "The Safari Dark Ride" Contrary to all of the hundreds of POP photos floating around the net and youtube footage, there yet remains a lack of a photo of the outside of the Safari Dark Ride. I am sure someone has one in their old photo album, but there is a photo of the inside. I remembered the Jungle Jeep cars on that dark ride. Since POP was a true tropical and water park of the day with theming that competed with a younger Disneyland in Anaheim at the time, this Dark Ride left a lasting impression. Here is the only known photo to show you what the ride was like.

And how old were you at this time?

abletudu

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 01:39:51 PM »
^ Personally in 1966 I was 19 and in the US Army, but I don't know about Slickdude. Of course I went on my first roller coaster (Coney Island Cyclone, Coney Island, NY) when I was about 7 or 8 (1954 or 1955) and I wasn't "scared" just excited.

Dark rides of that time were made to have things suddenly appear and startle you. The younger kids were sometimes really scared by them. Rides like "It's a Small World" are really mild compared to some of them.
A Proud Backer Of TPS! If you are having trouble using TPS refer to http://forum.themeparkstudio.com/index.php?board=19.0
To report problems or make suggestions go to https://themeparkstudio.mantishub.com/login_page.php?return=%2Fmy_view_page.php and register for an account.

SMF 2.0.8 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines

Page created in 0.455 seconds with 21 queries.

Analysis © 2010 by, Crip