Author Topic: WIP - Animated Billboard  (Read 3966 times)

davaze

• Kickstarter Club Member
WIP - Animated Billboard
« on: May 28, 2015, 02:18:52 AM »
Hey Guys,

** Now Available on Steam Workshop **

I created a quick asset to put into the park.
An animated Billboard sign which can hold 3 images of your choice.
It can also be colored just like my flat rides.

I'm animating it right now so stay tuned.

Animated:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhTanJRfQtU

Changing the Boards images:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FAN_KfT8Jg
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 11:10:44 PM by davaze »

mistiedog

Re: WIP - Animated Billboard
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 07:20:26 AM »
Looks cool!!!

abletudu

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 07:53:16 AM »
That will be a cool addition. Do you think it might be possible to create a billboard that would be able to display a small video?
A Proud Backer Of TPS! If you are having trouble using TPS refer to http://forum.themeparkstudio.com/index.php?board=19.0
To report problems or make suggestions go to https://themeparkstudio.mantishub.com/login_page.php?return=%2Fmy_view_page.php and register for an account.

muchwoo

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 07:55:06 AM »
This is really cool!

davaze

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 08:01:39 AM »
Thanks Guys,

I added a small video of the Billboard.
I will also release the screen without the supports so it can be attached to walls or anything else.
I will put another video showing that you can resize the screen to any size when placing it. this means you can make mini screens on walls showing the images as well as a big screen. Stay tuned!

Paul UK

• Global Moderator
  • Home Park - Chessington & Thorpe Park
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 10:49:52 AM »
Hey davaze, that is excellent!  I can see lots of uses for this.

davaze

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 06:27:43 PM »
That will be a cool addition. Do you think it might be possible to create a billboard that would be able to display a small video?

Hi Abletudu,
I don't think adding videos is possible yet, i also wonder if it will be added. Maybe there might be ways to do something with animated textures in the future but as far as i know, animated textures at this moment only work with particle effects.

davaze

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 11:20:13 PM »
Ok check out the new video in the main post on top.
I have seperated the support and screen and can now be combined together or not.
Also it shows how you can color the support and screen using all 3 color slots if you need.
Finally, when placing you can scale proportinal and make tine screens to add to a wall or something. Pretty neat.
I will add another video soon that shows how to change the image on the screen.
In principle each column has 3 slides (planes). Each slide holds its own image and can be easily changed in the material editor. Will demonstrate in upcoming video.
Hope you like this one.

abletudu

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 12:51:09 AM »
Thanks for your amazing work.
A Proud Backer Of TPS! If you are having trouble using TPS refer to http://forum.themeparkstudio.com/index.php?board=19.0
To report problems or make suggestions go to https://themeparkstudio.mantishub.com/login_page.php?return=%2Fmy_view_page.php and register for an account.

davaze

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 02:20:19 AM »
One side note. As of now every board added into the scene share te same images. Changing one will change them on all like with many objects currently in TPS.

If someone has an idea how to make same multiple objects unique including the sub-objects within then please let me know.

Thanks.

muchwoo

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 02:32:20 AM »
Hello Dav, the only way that I find is make a new material with TPS material editor and assign to selected piece. Not sure if work with all pieces ;).

davaze

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 04:55:30 AM »
Hey Much,

The problem is that the mesh objects keep the same name so no matter which material you add because the mesh name is the same they all take that material or image. It is the same like with the lights (street lamps) when you change properties of one, they all change because they are the same instance. Same with my billboard.

BigDraco

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 06:03:11 AM »
Nice one!

Would make a great addition to any park.

davaze

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 08:06:19 AM »
Thanks BigDraco.
I'll be uploading the support and screen tomorrow as a separate piece. You can then combine them or use separate.

Also will ad a short video tomorrow how to change the images on the screen.
As said, every instance of the board you place in the park will share the same images. I hope this will be changed someday by Pantera if a solution does not already exist but I don't know.

davaze

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 10:41:00 PM »
Ok Guys,

I added a short video in the original post on top to show how to change the images.
In principle you just replace the diffuse map for each slide on each of the 20 columns with the material editor.

The naming is like this:
BB2 - Billboard name
C1- Column index
S1 - Slide index

Each column has 3 slides like:
C1_S1 - first slide on first column
C1_S2 - second slide on first column
C1_S3 - third slide on the first column

The same for every of the 20 columns. So if you change the image on the first slide then on every column the first slide is the same image making up the complete image on the board. This goes for every slide. The Board can show 3 images.
Hope it is clear.
I'll be uploading the Board later today to SW. Once downloaded I suggest to export the board in the "Path object" library. Do not put it in the Custom buildset library!

If you put it in the path object library, whenever you place another instance it will always add a new instance with the same original sizes.
If you put it in the architectural library, if you place in instance in the park and re-size that instance, when placing another instance it will add a new instance with the modified re-sized shape instead of the original size.
If you put it in the custom buildset library, the scenery editor will try to add it to the scene, causing all the related sub-objects within to be moved to their own zero point. So do not add it in these libraries.

Above is what I found out when testing, if someone finds any other behavior (good or bad) please let me know.

SMF 2.0.8 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 23 queries.

Analysis © 2010 by, Crip