Author Topic: How to get started modeling W/Sketchup Only  (Read 16490 times)

timthrill

Re: How to get started modeling W/Sketchup Only
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2014, 06:23:06 PM »
When i try to import my sketchup model into TPS all of the textures disappear from my model? Has anyone else had this issue?

JCat

• Kickstarter Club Member
    • Trackworx
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2014, 06:28:31 PM »
Make sure the textures are in the same folder as the model.

timthrill

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2014, 06:31:30 AM »
That allowed me to keep my photo textures for my model, yet everything else is just one color? Do I have to create a photo texture for each color that I want to use in my model?

Coasterfreak

• Proud supporter of TPS
    • TPS-Syndicate
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2014, 07:04:24 AM »
That allowed me to keep my photo textures for my model, yet everything else is just one color? Do I have to create a photo texture for each color that I want to use in my model?

Did you group all your textures? If using more than one texture, you must group them separately!
When exporting your model from sketchup as a .dae file, it automatically creates a folder with all the textures used, BUT, the .dae file is not in there. You must manually place the .dae file in with that texture folder. Also make sure your folders go inside the nvidia toolkit folder... if not, it wont work.

MrKoolDragon12

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2014, 03:56:44 PM »
Hello, I'm a little new here and I'm getting a bit lost in all the information:
  • I have SketchUp, what plugins will I actually need?
  • I've watched several of the tutorials (Awesome, its like AutoCAD and SolidWorks from my engineering class I took in high school)
  • I understand the idea of polycounts
  • The word "textures" keeps getting thrown around alot. Can someone explain this part better please?
  • I've also read people saying things like needing a plugin to export or models and things. Isn't that what the Steam Workshop is for?
Sorry if I'm asking questions that have been asked before. I have limited days off, and I'm new to the whole "learning from a forum" approach I guess.
Flat Ride Operator & Enthusiast

Coasterfreak

• Proud supporter of TPS
    • TPS-Syndicate
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2014, 11:08:28 AM »
Hello, I'm a little new here and I'm getting a bit lost in all the information:
  • I have SketchUp, what plugins will I actually need?
  • I've watched several of the tutorials (Awesome, its like AutoCAD and SolidWorks from my engineering class I took in high school)
  • I understand the idea of polycounts
  • The word "textures" keeps getting thrown around alot. Can someone explain this part better please?
  • I've also read people saying things like needing a plugin to export or models and things. Isn't that what the Steam Workshop is for?
Sorry if I'm asking questions that have been asked before. I have limited days off, and I'm new to the whole "learning from a forum" approach I guess.[/b]

Let me see if i can explain this to you!

1: You will need to download the NvidiaToolKit to export your Sketchup file as a .dae file to use into TPS. I would put this on your desktop, easier to get to when you need it.
you can find that here:
http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=347277#p347277

and you will need UV Toolkit_2_2_2.zip which can be found here:
http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18992

2: Textures... textures are pictures or images that you add to your model in Sketchup, and must be grouped separately, if not, the whole model will end up blue in TPS when importing it. Best to import your own textures, whether it be images, pictures or basic colors being applied to your model.

3: You can export to the Steam Workshop from inside TPS... once your model has been exported from Sketchup as a .dae file and imported into TPS. Then you can export your model to Steam Workshop.

Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2014, 04:53:27 PM »
Okay so I am working on a project, I made it added the textures. Grouped as a componant, exported dae, copied folder and put it into textures folder in TPS, along with the dae file inside it. When I import the model it still shows up blue, any idea?
-Kyle

abletudu

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2014, 05:26:24 PM »
Okay so I am working on a project, I made it added the textures. Grouped as a componant, exported dae, copied folder and put it into textures folder in TPS, along with the dae file inside it. When I import the model it still shows up blue, any idea?

You don't group as components. Before you are ready to export, select one of the textures, right click, mouse over "select" and click on all with same material. Then bring the cursor back to the texture again and right click, select make group. Do this with each texture. Before exporting, save your model (in the file menu). Now go to file and hover over export and select 3d model. A save type function will pop up. Select the place you want to save the .dae and click save.

After you have saved the .dae, browse to that location and find the .dae you just saved. Somewhere in the same location you will see a file folder with the same name. Select the .dae and move it to that folder. When you are ready to import into TPS, just select import on your game file menu and browse to the location of the saved .dae and select it.

Hope I have been able to help. One added note, it seems like the textures supplied with Sketchup will not work right. All textures have to be imported into Sketchup.
A Proud Backer Of TPS! If you are having trouble using TPS refer to http://forum.themeparkstudio.com/index.php?board=19.0
To report problems or make suggestions go to https://themeparkstudio.mantishub.com/login_page.php?return=%2Fmy_view_page.php and register for an account.

Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2014, 05:34:04 PM »
It worked! Wonderful, and thankgod for the select with same material tool I remember when I was trying to make CS back in day for rct3 I had to go around and physically select each one that had that texture and then group. I still shudder.
-Kyle

abletudu

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2014, 05:45:17 PM »
Glad I could help.
A Proud Backer Of TPS! If you are having trouble using TPS refer to http://forum.themeparkstudio.com/index.php?board=19.0
To report problems or make suggestions go to https://themeparkstudio.mantishub.com/login_page.php?return=%2Fmy_view_page.php and register for an account.

elnarador

« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2014, 12:33:36 PM »
Found a tutorial that is help me understand sketchup.   Haven't gone through much yet, but it's already a big help.

http://www.crydev.net/viewtopic.php?f=315&t=71307

Mighty_Borlaug

• Drawing is FUNdamental
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2015, 07:57:49 AM »
I am going to start posting all the actions recommended in Sketch-up I can't reproduce. Sketchup is SUPERFAST and great for modeling but Exporting in it just refuses to work. Case in Point:

You don't group as components. Before you are ready to export, select one of the textures, right click, mouse over "select" and click on all with same material. Then bring the cursor back to the texture again and right click, select make group.

"Make Group" does not appear in the right click menu in materials. "Dragging a texture into Sketchup" is not a command or icon I can click in any of the windows. What command are you using to drag textures into the work space?

Slowly dying on the Vine.

abletudu

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2015, 10:12:30 AM »
right click, select make group.

Sorry my mistake, I meant select make group.

Dragging a texture into Sketchup

What I do is make a square somewhere off to the side away from the model. Depending on the texture used determines the size square, a little trial and error is required to get the rigght size. Solid colors will work equally well in a 4'x4' square, or a 20'x20' square.

Once you have this square, click file, import, select your texture, click open. Then you drag the texture over this square from one corner to the diagonally opposite corner.

In the screen below and the ones that will follow I will show you what I mean. Here are the steps I took so far:
1. I made a simple 10'x10'x10' cube for this series of screens
2. I have already gone into the file system and opened my selected texture - in this case a red color
3. I am dragging the selected texture onto the square

In the following it shows how it looks when you have finished dragging:

Now open the paint bucket and select the eye dropper tool (red arrow):

Using the dropper tool (green arrow), move it over the square and click to sample the texture:

After the texture has been sampled, the eye dropper tool will change to the paint bucket and you will see the texture in the paint bucket menu:

Now all you have to do is apply the texture to the face with the bucket:

You do this with all the textures. Then After applying all the textures and Before grouping, delete the extra square and proceed with grouping the textures.

SMF 2.0.8 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines

Page created in 0.734 seconds with 21 queries.

Analysis © 2010 by, Crip