Author Topic: How to get started modeling W/Sketchup Only  (Read 14809 times)

SPACEMTNMAN

Re: How to get started modeling W/Sketchup Only
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2014, 08:14:13 PM »
I recognise some usernames on here. Jcat/Pumper and coasterfreak mainly from the old, old. ataricommunity. I Think ive seem MGP and a few others here too?
I have to ask. Is this the same TPS that some of the old rct veterans went to work on after boycotting atari or is it just something named the same?

Also is there a workflow breakdown from sketchup to TPS acceptable formats?

Thanks
SMM
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 08:20:31 PM by SPACEMTNMAN »

cap396

• Kickstarter Club Member
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2014, 03:43:47 AM »
^ You're probably thinking about Theme Park Builder 3D, which was going to be a community developed game that became vaporware.  Theme Park Studio is different.

oli414

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2014, 03:11:35 PM »
I'm trying to create CS but something is going wrong. I created my model and exported it as a DAE. Next I loaded the DAE file in TPS (file/import/custom scenery). After that I can't find my CS anywhere. Finally I took a quick search trough Theme Park Studio's data I can't find my CS anywhere.
Does someone know what's going wrong?

joffy

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2014, 12:19:24 AM »
When you exported it to DAE, yit would have also created a folder of the textures used in the model. Put the DAE file in that folder, then trying importing into the game again.

abletudu

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2014, 03:15:13 AM »
cap396, please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't he need the nvidia toolkit?
A Proud Backer Of TPS! If you are having trouble using TPS refer to http://forum.themeparkstudio.com/index.php?board=19.0
To report problems or make suggestions go to https://themeparkstudio.mantishub.com/login_page.php?return=%2Fmy_view_page.php and register for an account.

oli414

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2014, 05:02:55 AM »
When you exported it to DAE, yit would have also created a folder of the textures used in the model. Put the DAE file in that folder, then trying importing into the game again.
That worked! Ty.
But how can I put my model under the build set tabs? Currently when I import it it will only load in the game and I'm not able to copy it or place more of them without using the import button again.
Another question: What is the best way for modelingen glass in tps?

joffy

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2014, 11:45:17 AM »
Load each custom model into TPS, then, file> export> custom scenery. Save in one of the build set folders, (Steam\SteamApps\common\Theme Park Studio\Custom\Build Sets).

In Sketchup, for glass you can select the default translucant materials.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 12:30:15 PM by joffy »

jumblue

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2014, 03:35:09 AM »
Maybe I'm missing something here, trying to import my mesh into TPS from SketchUp.

First I export to the *.dae file.  I don't have any textures applied to the mesh, so all SketchUp is generating on export is the dae file.

I've tried a couple different things.

First, I tried importing without running the Nvidia tools.  It loaded Sophie (the cardboard cutout of a person used for scale), and nothing else.

I deleted Sophie from my scene, but now nothing shows up on import.  I tried running the Nvidia tools, but both TPS and Nvidia's documentation is a little foggy on how to run this.

What I tried was "C:\...\Final\nvttcmd nvassemble 'FileIn.dae' which generated an error claiming six files were expected.

Tried exporting from SketchUp and importing in TPS with as many combinations of settings checked as I could, but still cannot get my castle to appear. I assume once it loads successfully, I'll have a castle at my cursor like any other scenery piece when it's selected...

Also, is there an extenstion or tool to test if there's some error in my model? (Just want to eliminate variables...)

Updated: I just tried importing a simple cube made in Sketchup to an empty park, and still only got Sophie.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 03:40:18 AM by jumblue »

oli414

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2014, 04:16:07 AM »
^
It sounds like there's something wrong with your google sketchup. What version are you using? Have you ever messed with any settings? It should work with default settings with a template using inches/feet. Create a model in sketchup export it as a .dae file. Import it in TPS. You'll only need the 2 settings wich are recommended for sketchup files. And it should work.
You might want to reinstall sketchup.

joffy

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2014, 06:27:49 AM »
It could be because you're not using any textures. Try adding some to the model. I've never had to run Nvidia tools.

jumblue

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2014, 08:42:23 AM »
^
It sounds like there's something wrong with your google sketchup. What version are you using? Have you ever messed with any settings?

Just installed the 2014 version last night.  I'm going to keep playing with a cube mesh and the settings to find which get better results...

abletudu

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2014, 08:47:32 AM »
I find that with the nvidia toolkit it puts all the texture and the dae in the same folder for me. Are you right clicking, selecting all the same materials, and grouping them?
A Proud Backer Of TPS! If you are having trouble using TPS refer to http://forum.themeparkstudio.com/index.php?board=19.0
To report problems or make suggestions go to https://themeparkstudio.mantishub.com/login_page.php?return=%2Fmy_view_page.php and register for an account.

jumblue

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2014, 08:54:27 AM »
Ah ha!  I just turned my cube into a component, and now it loaded no problem.

Well, I had painted it red and now it's blue.  Still easier to fix at this point as it's now in TPS!

joffy

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2014, 09:56:29 AM »
Some useful plugins I use for Sketchup... Group by texture; http://www.smustard.com/script/GroupByTexture
Cleanup; http://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/cleanup%C2%B3

SPACEMTNMAN

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2014, 06:35:45 PM »
Cleanup is a great script for game engine models^ Anything free on smustards website is great ive never bought any of their plugins but theres so many great ones on there. One of the best for creating cloth like simulations (for canopys and such) is soap skin& bubble. also theres an incredible suite called 1001bit tools containing loads of architectural tools. Highly recommend that one too.

SMF 2.0.8 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 20 queries.

Analysis © 2010 by, Crip