Author Topic: How to get started modeling W/Sketchup Only  (Read 18135 times)

abletudu

• Administrator
Re: How to get started modeling W/Sketchup Only
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 09:52:36 AM »
I would recommend you pick a product, study it well and learn how to use it efficiently for our purpose, which is game asset modeling. In the end if you can master a particular piece of design software, no matter what it is, you will be able to make great models. Sketchup just happens to be one of the easiest packages out there to learn. And the price is right.....FREE

It is indeed FREE, that is unless you go for the Pro version which is supposed to have functions the free version doesn't and this is priced at almost $600, so who needs the pro version?
A Proud Backer Of TPS! If you are having trouble using TPS refer to http://forum.themeparkstudio.com/index.php?board=19.0
To report problems or make suggestions go to https://themeparkstudio.mantishub.com/login_page.php?return=%2Fmy_view_page.php and register for an account.

zeleathos

• Kickstarter Club Member
  • Proud to be backing
    • Pop Culture Theme Park
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 12:14:12 PM »
I'm a terrible modeler lol but working on it

Click here for more info

Krankin4

• Administrator
  • Proud supporter of TPS
    • RCT3CSOS Custom Objects And More
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 12:19:53 PM »
That hits it as close to dead center as you can get and well put Mikey. Keep us posted on the on your findings.   

I think one thing Sketchup is lacking and is badly needed is the ability to bake textures which I think some will agree makes a big difference for gaming models. There is lots of good info on making a proper game texture which will make a difference when your model is placed in to a game and unlike RCT we are not limited to 1024px file size and should always stick to the "power of 2" rule to avoid distortion in the game. Here's a good explanation of power of 2 and making better textures for games. (Link)

I'll start a topic on recommend Sketchup used for game modeling and hope everyone adds the ones think are essential.

C-A_99

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 01:00:52 AM »
One of my troubles is that I'm so locked into 3DS Max now that attempting to learn Blender hasn't gotten me very far due to simply wanting to switch back to Max every time I load it up. I've had less issues learning SketchUp simply due to how intuitive it is and the tools quality. I may even look into it for throwing together urban environments more quickly, but I think I'm set w/ Max.

The thing with 3D modeling is that there are many fundamental rules that everyone learning needs to know, the powers of 2 texture dimensions being one of them. There's no one easy way to get novices up to speed with these things quickly, but the good part is that 3D modeling is so common/universal that one can learn from many places on the web. Much of my main project right now is going this way: Run as many Google searches a day as possible. You can pick up so much from the web from documentation and forums without ever asking a single question.

Coasterfreak

• Proud supporter of TPS
    • TPS-Syndicate
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013, 04:16:00 AM »
Alot of people think you need to use textures, power of 2, in Sketchup... Really, you dont have to, it's just needed for the sake of importing anything into RCT3.

I've used many non power of 2 textures in Sketchup, but then resized it to the power of 2 for the importer. :D It is helpful to use a power of 2 texture, saves one less step to do for importing... but at least in sketchup, i know im getting the true texture desired and not having to skew or reshape the image!

Now when i make my own textures, i make them either 512x512, or 1024x1024.... this way i can get my image to look right in game... if i make them 128x128 or 256x256.. then having to size the texture larger on my object can get a little pixelated... if i stay at a larger power size, then scaling the texture smaller wont lose or distort the image! I know it may be a bigger file size, but at least i know you'll be able to see and understand what the image/texture is...than to try and figure it out..and be blurry! ;)

Krankin4

• Administrator
  • Proud supporter of TPS
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2013, 07:13:29 AM »
As you mentioned coasterfreak RCT and the 512's 1024's ect... Being square made a lot of wasted space and file size for RCT.

Your not stuck to a square. A valid power of 2 texture could be 512x64 or 1024x2,048 64x512. 32x128.

schindlj

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 05:40:20 AM »
Tuts for using plugin @
Here  (Link fixed)

Been wanting to try to get into modeling for a while and I am really excited to see links to these tutorials.  Just wanted to thank you for the links and give a heads up that the quoted link is giving me a 404 not found error.

Scotty

• Theme Park Studio - This is going to be good!
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 01:29:26 PM »
Been wanting to try to get into modeling for a while and I am really excited to see links to these tutorials.  Just wanted to thank you for the links and give a heads up that the quoted link is giving me a 404 not found error.

Try this

http://teachers.sd43.bc.ca/dpurych/default.aspx

Then click on Sketchup and Sketchup One Plage Helper at the top.

schindlj

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 02:35:48 PM »
Thank you that works :)

Scotty

• Theme Park Studio - This is going to be good!
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 05:53:50 PM »
Thank you that works :)

Glad to help, as always.  :)  I have a program that deletes error 404 bookmarks, but I always check them first, as an issue like this happens, where I bookmark a part of the page, and not the MAIN page, and the author either renames or deletes the certain page that I was on, but yet in reality, the page is still there.

Krankin4

• Administrator
  • Proud supporter of TPS
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2013, 07:44:07 AM »
Thanks Scotty and I see that he does change them form time to time. I'll try to keep them updated as some of the video will correspond with some tuts in the future.

intoxination

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 11:27:08 AM »
So the free version of Sketchup will be adequate to model in TPS? Looks like the edition comparison page of Sketchup is gone, so I was having trouble figuring out what the difference was. Been playing with the free version, trying to get a grasp on it. My problem is that I come from a Maya background, so I've got 3D experience in one of the industry leaders, but Sketchup is so much simpler that it's actually confusing me!  ???

JCat

• Trackworx
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 12:27:03 PM »
So the free version of Sketchup will be adequate to model in TPS? Looks like the edition comparison page of Sketchup is gone, so I was having trouble figuring out what the difference was. Been playing with the free version, trying to get a grasp on it. My problem is that I come from a Maya background, so I've got 3D experience in one of the industry leaders, but Sketchup is so much simpler that it's actually confusing me!  ???

Yes, the free version can export to Theme Park Studio. The free version has more than enough features to knock out great  models, providing you know the product extensively, including its limitations and oddities.

abletudu

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2014, 04:41:09 PM »
Will we need all the plugins that Krankin4 referred to at http://teachers.sd43.bc.ca/dpurych/Sketchup%20Plugins/Forms/AllItems.aspx in order to model for TPS? There are so many. If we don't need them all, which plugins would be helpful?

Where can I find good clear tutorials on using sketchup?
A Proud Backer Of TPS! If you are having trouble using TPS refer to http://forum.themeparkstudio.com/index.php?board=19.0
To report problems or make suggestions go to https://themeparkstudio.mantishub.com/login_page.php?return=%2Fmy_view_page.php and register for an account.

Coasterfreak

• Proud supporter of TPS
    • TPS-Syndicate
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2014, 07:47:45 PM »
abletudu,

If using sketchup, then you will need the .dae COLLADA export plug in for sketchup, which you can find it at sketchup's ruby files plug in list! or here:
http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=347277#p347277

and you will need UV Toolkit_2_2_2.zip which can be found here:
http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18992

you will have to register to download this but it will be worth it! Plus look on sketchup's home page, it should have some tutorials on sketchup, even basic "how to's."

Only thing i know is, that you can model in sketchup and export into TPS, and you can also make and create your own stuff in TPS as well.. so, if there is something that you can not figure out how to make in TPS, then sketchup will be our friend! :D :D

SMF 2.0.8 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines

Page created in 0.609 seconds with 20 queries.

Analysis © 2010 by, Crip